USB Problem with Atto Digital recorder

For hardware related questions and answers, notes, instructions
Lumby75

USB Problem with Atto Digital recorder

Post by Lumby75 »

Hi folks,

I'm referring to the device mentioned in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8157

I bought it recently as well as a chainball recorder from the same company.
I have an issue with both. When I plug them via USB-port to my PC (Notebook AND Desktop) nothing happens except it begins to charge.
It's no notified as a USB device / external storage. Since this happens with both PC (one is WIN7, the other WIN10) i guess it's not my fault? ;-)

What's the trick here? Any experience with the ATTOs?

Thanks a lot
zretihw

Re: USB Problem with Atto Digital recorder

Post by zretihw »

Had a little click around the website and one of the product reviews says that you require a piece of software to download the recordings from the device. Maybe thats it?
Million1
Kingpin

Post by Million1 »

A few ideas....

I think you must enter the password before plugging it in, but I assume that's what you did?

Do you use the original cable that came with the recorder? I tried to use a different cable with a recorder once and it didn't work for some reason.

Also, USB devices may stop working like that if you don't use "safe removal" before unplugging. Some recorders can be reset to factory settings, usually a small hole where you can insert a paperclip.

Check the manual or contact their support if you haven't already...
Lumby75

Post by Lumby75 »

Thanks @all for your help.

For the keychain it worked after resetting.
For the other device the passwort issue did the trick ;-)
edtraveller

Post by edtraveller »

I have the square ATTO device and this weekend finally was able to give it a good trial.

I bought it as it gives the choice to record WAV and it conceals itself beautifully. Had no issues with charging or USB connection - but there is a bit of a learning curve on using it.

However, at the end of the day, I don't really like the quality. I'm sure in close proximity it is fine, but with sounds 10' away or greater, I have to use headphones to hear stuff that would be crystal clear on the clunkier eSonic devices.

Atto is ideal for the Members area of the site - placed in proximity of a bed it would do beautifully, but in a hotel corridor, I'm sticking with other equipment..
πŸ§”πŸ‘±β€β™€οΈ=πŸ›=πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«β€πŸ’“πŸ’—πŸ’“πŸ’ž=πŸ˜–πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ₯΄=πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ« =🀰=πŸ‘ΆπŸ‘ΆπŸ‘Ά
Million1
Kingpin

Post by Million1 »

Thanks for sharing your trial experience. I think if you want to stay secret and safe, there are a few issues from what I've gathered:

- When turned on, the logo is immediately displayed. So if someone finds it they can just google the logo and find out that the device is in fact a recorder.

- You have to enter a password to turn it on, but if it's already on, like if someone finds it during recording mode, all files can be accessed.

- The surface appears to be very shiny. If you want to hide something you don't want it to reflect light, so you'll need to to something about that.
edtraveller

Post by edtraveller »

Great points, Million One. Noticed the same. In the recorder's favor, it really isn't friendly to the uninitiated. So that is a little protection. Likewise the eSonic has a small protection - if one doesn't know to turn the switch to off, and plugs into a computer, nothing happens. Sharper security folks can of course Google either and get the instructions, but that is why I am leaning towards quirkier, less organized hotels these days.
The finish I think works with the small size. It's obviously not a camera, so it looks innocent.
Also depends on the finish of surrounding materials. Sometimes matte finishes reveal more light where glossy can hide better by not letting as much light stick to it
πŸ§”πŸ‘±β€β™€οΈ=πŸ›=πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«β€πŸ’“πŸ’—πŸ’“πŸ’ž=πŸ˜–πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ₯΄=πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ« =🀰=πŸ‘ΆπŸ‘ΆπŸ‘Ά
Million1
Kingpin

Post by Million1 »

Yes, I don't know if that was the original intention, but it's a good thing these little quirks and limitations exists and serves as extra protection.

Regarding usb logos and such, with some persistence they can be scraped off, or scratched enough for the text to become unreadable. Well, most people won't get it or are curious enough to bother with it anyway, so maybe I just suffer a bit from paranoia.

OK, its shininess can probably be an advantage in some surroundings. I guess it makes sense if the background is glossy too. Let's hope that the future brings us completely transparent recorders one day :-)